Monday, October 26, 2009

Press and stuff

Ugh, I am so not digging this weather, although I should be happy it didn't rain when I went out last weekend. Getting back into the 3-1-2-1 schedule this week, although the rain/cold makes me just want to stay home and curl up with a good book or some MNF. :P

Today's WOD was presses, 5-5-5-3-3-3; then W/G Couplet, which was 21-15-9 of body weight back squats and ring dips. We did ring work yesterday for open gym/skill day, and that was a fun time, except my shoulders feel a bit tight from all the different skills we worked on. We'll see how they hold up on the ring dips...

Results: Man, have I lost a lot of upper body strength since I've been sick! My 1RM on press is 90#, so I thought I'd be able to do at least 75-80# for the 3RM today. Nooooo, failed on the 2nd rep of 75# on the third set of 5, so I went back down to 70#. Humbling, but not surprising. Mel told me I should think of the fact that I'm back in the box and am going through the ROM and practicing--that's something. She's right, of course. I find my small defeats more bearable when Mel is there to put things in perspective for me.

The met-con went pretty well except on my first set of ring dips, my damn foot (old complaint) cramped up on me and made me have to stop for a moment on the 10th rep. I did my usual fix-up moves with Mel encouraging me (she experiences plantar fasciitis frequently) and toughed out the rest of the dips. It didn't hurt too badly when I did the squats, but I hated getting back on the red band for the dips. I used 95# for the back squats, although I should/could have done at least 100. Ah well, no use pushing myself too far the first full week back, right? Overall, it was a good met-con experience, minus the foot cramp. I need to drink more water, but it sure is difficult when there's tons of it pouring out of the sky outside and it's cold (for Texas). Time for a hot shower and MNF. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment