Friday, August 13, 2010

Plan


I need a plan to get me going on these lesson plans and FINAL graduate course assignments. I do have two more days left of "break" before I return to work full-time (no kiddos, just on-campus training and teacher prep days) and start my class, but I feel like I need to be getting my tush in gear for the crazy next two months. But I can't get myself going! I think I'm making myself wait to see if Kason returns this weekend. Either he comes back or finishes his OCS training all the way to October. I feel like I "can't" decide my next move until I know exactly when he'll be back with me. :/

Well, I finally got my Implanon inserted yesterday morning. Truth be told, I did feel a bit anxious lying there with my arm in position. But my doctor is an expert at using needles and scalpels without causing pain or discomfort--didn't feel a thing!! The only pain I felt was the nervous energy in my stomach before the actual procedure, the not knowing. But even the prick of the needle that delivered the lidocaine was nothing. Getting my blood drawn imparts much more discernible sensations. Then my doc made a small incision to facilitate the insertion, and she was finished with everything before I knew it. There was an intern who came in to observe the procedure, and I guess it was too much for her, poor thing. She had to leave the room! I'll admit--when I watched a YouTube vid of the process, I did feel a bit squeamish. I kept my eyes glued to the ceiling when I actually had it done--that definitely helped. The doc made a compression wrap for my arm, which looked pretty bad-ass! :) But it started itching by night time, so I was happy to be able to remove it this morning. I get to take the bandaid off tomorrow morning--kinda curious to see what it'll look like under there! I have an interesting bruise at the site where the front end of the rod was inserted. Amy, what's the reason behind it? :) Anyway, I'm totally happy that I don't have to take a pill everyday anymore, and I just have to get this little guy replaced every three years. I don't like to think about the removal procedure though...lots of possible complications, including scar tissue and the like. But I'll worry about that in 2013. :) I have to wait until Monday to workout (no dirt or sweat allowed--Staph is no fun!), and then I have to wait a week before I can do anything involving arms. I foresee lots of running, air squatting, and situp-ing in my future! Not too bummed about that, though--I got a 10# PR on clean and 5# PR on jerk on Wednesday: 125# clean; 135# jerk. :D I could do only 35 pullups (5 unbroken at a time) in 2 minutes, though, but that's my usual Tabata number, so I guess that makes sense.

Going to be a fun day tomorrow--going to the Dallas Convention Center to witness some CF greatness at a friendly competition, as well as live MMA fights (woohoo!!!). Okay, I'm motivated to go clean now, especially if Kason returns this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. First thing is first. Yay for PR! Get to work on those FINAL assignments! Sooner you get those done, the sooner you are DONE! Why would Kason be coming back? When we last talked, everything was great with OCS.

    OK, so with the Implanon, from what I understand, it is a minor surgery. You are cutting into your arm, and sticking this little rod in it. Well, let's think about this. What is the cause of any bruise? Trauma right? And to be more specific, it is trauma to capillaries (which are the smallest blood vessels in the body. In the capillary bed you have arterioles (small arteries) and venules (small veins)). So, when the capillary beds have sustained some type of trauma (and in your case minor "trauma") there will be some bleeding into the interstitial space (the space that surrounds the cells of our bodies). When there is bleeding in this interstitial space, you get a bruise. Now, bruising can be caused by injuring a major vein or artery, but I do not believe that was your case since I am assuming that you bruise isn't that big.

    Now, this is an assumption, but I am guessing that the bruise is at the top end because when they inserted the rod, it was the top end that was causing the damage so that the rod could be inserted. Again, that is just a guess, as I have not been around this procedure. And also, some people bruise easier than others. I have some patients that a needle can just look at them and they bruise. Ok, that's not really the case, but you get the picture!

    Hope this helps some, and if you want me to explain more, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy!!!! Your explanation makes total sense. :)

    Kason returns tomorrow--Texas doesn't "have the money" to fund his finishing out accelerated OCS in MD. I'm happy he's coming back! :) He'll just finish out traditional over the next year, I think. We'll see when he's back and we discuss it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that my explanation made sense and satisfied you! :)

    Yay for Kason coming home! Just make sure that you don't get distracted! You need to get these projects finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed all this while I was away! Hope you're fully healed! I hear you on not taking a pill every day - I love my Nuvaring, and I've heard good things about Implanon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jamie! The site where the Implanon is located is totally fine except for a few allergic reactions I had to the bandaids (ugh!). The welts have finally calmed down (most of why I've skipped the box this week, that and my INSANE workload for teaching AND graduate school). I'm going to the Saturday WOD and then am heading over to school to work some more on my classroom. Waaaaagh!

    ReplyDelete