Friday, September 11, 2009

I'm still alive...somehow!

Well, I finally made it!!!! Finished my final project with 30 minutes to spare, and I am feeling AWESOME!!!!!! Now I have a week-long break from class. It's going to be so wonderful to sleep more and more restfully and be able to watch movies and Dexter (my new obsession!!).

Okay...I forget where I left off on this...oh yeah, after Nancy. Okay, so I went to the Saturday WOD, which was 100m sprints, 10 times. It was a bad sprinting day for me--I could only get 14:40s as my best time, nowhere near my PR. I definitely strayed from my slowest time by over three seconds, too, and we were supposed to do burpee broad jumps, 10 for each foul, but I never did my 30...maybe I'll do that this weekend when we WOD independently since the gym is closed.

Sunday, I had too much work AGAIN, so I didn't go. Oh, and go shopping and take advantage of all the Labor Day sales. ;) My legs felt the sprints like they never have before! I used my roller at home, but wow did it huuuuuurt in a good/bad way. Definitely needed that rest day.

Monday: It was open gym for Labor Day, and we did 5-rep max of OHS. I barely got all five reps in with 65#. Chase made me drop it on the fourth rep my second-to-last attempt because he reminded me about my active shoulders, which weren't being active enough, so I lost focus and dropped the bar. :( After that, I did 15 KTB, 10 HSPUs, 2 30-second handstand holds, and a 2-minute plank hold.

Tuesday: 5k run. I almost skipped that day because it hasn't been since college on the rugby team that I'd run that far. But I saw Amanda post about going, so I had to go then. I was shooting for sub 30 minutes, and I did it in 28:something. Much to improve on, but I'm happy I have a baseline now. I felt pretty good the first 3 miles, but that .1 mile was the killer!!! We had to run down to the train tracks and back up to Greenville, then back down to the train tracks. The slight incline to Greenville is what really got to me. It was so damn hot, there was an orange level pollution watch, and the breeze I'd savored at the beginning of the run totally disappeared. Got a bit of a tan, though, hehe. :) The run really helped my sore legs, too, and I wore my new Puma Saloh's, which I'd gotten on Sunday. They worked GREAT and didn't require any breaking in or anything. I think I've found my new favorite CF shoes.

Wednesday: Had to miss out on the clean and jerks for school work. :( Maybe I will make those up on a Sunday when the gym's open.

Thursday: One of the most fun WODs I've done!!!! 14 rounds of 3 HSPUs and 6 alternating pistols. I was determined to do the HSPUs for as long as I was able, and I ended up doing all of them. I even redid ones where I didn't fully lock out my elbows (twice)! The pistols were fun, too. I used the small box for mine. I've improved a lot on those because last time we did pistols, I used a blue band. I'm loving the improvements!!!! Dessert was absolutely awesome yet awful! We did half-tabata of alternating plank holds where the opposite arm and leg are held up in the air, then we switched, and the rest position was holding the plank. Then we did another half-tabata of v-sits, with the rest position in reverse plank. The final half-tabata was mountain climbers with resting in the push-up hold. Fun and painful! My butt still feels the pistols and the reverse planks. I love wincing in pain when I get up from my chair or bed. :D

Friday: Today's WOD was very interesting--20 rep max of front squat. I don't know my current 1RM because the last time we did it was in May. I assumed it was at least body weight, so I calculated 65% to use on the 20 reps and rounded up to 90#. In retrospect, I would have started with 95# because I crapped out on the 16th rep of my attempt with 95#. I have a lil calcium deposit thing on my collar bone, and it's sharp and gets pinched when I do front squats. And it got pinched big-time today doing all those reps. :( I should have sucked it up and eked out the final 4 reps, but my wrists were starting to ache and my collar bone felt like shit, so I let go of the bar. Ugh. Next time we do this, I will start with the higher weight. I can't believe Victoria started with 80 and worked her way to 100#. I would have been too damn tired to be able to get all 20 in on the final attempt!! Erin did 100# on her first attempt, and she got all 20 in with almost no problem (not that it wasn't tough!!!). She was fun to workout with--I miss being able to go to the nooner. Dee was there, too, and she encouraged me as well. Oh, the warmup was so cool. It was called the Bear Complex, and we did 7 sets of power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, and push press; we added more weight each round, for a total of 3 rounds. Erin and I used the 33# bb for the first round, 53# the second, and 63# the third. The third round was freaking tough, especially the push presses. I'm feeling it for sure, yay!

Okay, time for some QT with Kason and Dexter. WOOHOOOOOO!! We're planning to do Invisible Fran and some max back squat tomorrow at our "gym." Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Epic blog post! Sounds like you had a great week at the gym. Thanks for posting that Bear Complex warm-up; I haven't done that yet. It's too bad I missed you at noon yesterday! If you're around this week, maybe I'll see you at a nooner or two. If not, have a fun week off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jamie! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make another nooner unless I play hooky again. Had to take Friday off to finish my final project for grad school. :/ You'll have fun on the Bear Complex--I hope we do it again sometime! And thanks, I am enjoying my week off already. :D

    ReplyDelete