Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What's up?

I know, I've been slacking but actually, I had to skip Sunday again last weekend for grad school crap. Argh! I can tell a huge difference when I miss three days in a row. I am seriously doing myself no favors by missing so many extra days. But then again, I have to have my priorities straight, but while I am earning a 100% in my class right now, my body is feeling like an 80%. :( I have been so tired this week so far, and I seriously have had to push myself to go to the box. What the hell is wrong with me?! The diet has been up and down, too. I'll feel great about my healthy choices, but then I'll find myself craving and then regretting food that is not Paleo (caved into my jonesing for Thai food last night even though I knew I would regret it). The too little sleep is wreaking havoc on my once-strict diet. Not good at all.

Yesterday's WOD looked deceptively easy (I know, no WOD is easy!!), so of course I went in feeling perhaps a bit overconfident. I was determined to use at least 65# for the lifts, which I did, but while I was warming up with the bar, I felt a bit of a twinge of doubt. Ugh! But I forced myself to stop right there, chalked my hands, and got ready to give it my best effort. Mere and Adriane used 75# and I guess that made me feel a little better.

WOD:

"Two Minute Defense"

5 rounds for time of:

1 Power clean, 135 pounds
3 Hang cleans, 135 pounds
2 Push jerks, 135 pounds
200ft. sprint

Rest 2 minutes

5 rounds for time of:

1 Power clean, 135 pounds
3 Hang cleans, 135 pounds
2 Push jerks, 135 pounds
200ft. sprint

The first time was rather rough--I could not get a good rhythm going until the third or fourth round. It took 4:42. Second time around was better but could have been faster than 4:35 (+/-). I left feeling like I didn't give it my best, and I think that is the worst feeling! The CD stretches we did were cool, though, but when the on-ramp class started doing their workout, I sooo wanted to join in with them to atone for the crappy job I did on the member WOD.

Today's WOD was "Death by Push-up": 2 push-ups on the first minute, 4 push-ups on the second minute, 6 push-ups on the third minute...until you can't do all the required push-ups within the minute. I completed the seventh round, but doing all 14 was pretty tough! Then I made it to the 14th push-up in the eighth round and had to start over at four push-ups for the next minute. I did all my push-ups rx'd, though--no knees!!!!! :D Total number I did with restarts was 124. I was pretty nervous before we started, though, and I asked Georgia what she recommended: doing all knee and trying to make it to the 10th round or doing them all rx'd and going as far as I could go. She told me she believed in me and knew I could do them rx'd, so I went for it. I am very glad that I did. Push-ups are one of my weak spots, and I have to make myself practice doing them regular, not knee, so that I can do them rx'd during a WOD. This was a fun one today!! For CD, we did L-hang for a total of 90 seconds, broken into 15-second intervals. I rested one interval to chalk my hands. It wasn't too bad, and Georgia pushed us through it. Then I did 50 GHD situps with SamZ--first two sets were 20 unbroken, then the final set was 10 reps. Then I had Howard to the other 50 with me. We did 10 reps each set until the final set, and I did 20 unbroken. He was still on his last 10 when I finished, so I did his final five with him. I feel much better now, and I want to do a 5-minute plank tomorrow after the WOD. Hoping I can get him to do it with me!

Sandy, thank you so much for your pep talk today. I seriously have been so caught up in grad school and work sucking the life out of me and have been stressing about all the time off I've had to take from CF. I appreciated your encouragement and optimism! I really have no room to complain, either, since I had all of July to workout when I wanted to! Ha! Have a safe trip this weekend, and if I don't talk to you/see you before your vacation, have a wonderful, relaxing trip to Europe!!! I'm hoping Kason and I get to go there in December.

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud that you are finding time to workout and do your school stuff! The hardest thing is trying to find that balance! I am struggling with that right now. Being that it is the first week of school, it's going to take me a while. Way to do all your push ups Rx'd!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! I know once you get into a groove, you'll be more able to fit working out into your schedule. You should try this WOD at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the quick pep talk helped :) Most important thing is do not beat yourself up! and absoultely do not stress about it.. stress releases cortisol and cortisol causes fat storage. Not something you want and it is something you can control :) Coupled with poor sleep it's not a good combination. All you can do is your very best every day and I know you are. Sometimes that's sitting at home eating thai food and that's ok. Also, if you can't make it to the box try doing something quick at home just to keep yourself going. I know living room workouts suck but something is better than nothing.

    AWESOME job on the push-ups!! You rock! I'll definitely see you before Europe, but wish me luck in San Fran next week..I think workout time and good food will be replaced with box lunches and work dinners :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. More traveling Sandy? Seriously...do you live out of your suitcase?

    ReplyDelete