Saturday, May 15, 2010

Back to it

Had to miss everyday at the box except Monday and Friday. Ugh! This past grad course I just finished last week was a killer. I don't understand how the professor "taught" this class but had the academic coach grade everything. The coach was super picky, too, so I'll be astounded if I get a B. There goes my 4.0. :( Oh well, spilt milk.

Friday's WOD: banded DL--we used orange bands (grey for guys) and worked on our form, keeping it nice and controlled on lowering the bar. I worked up to just 85# as I was feeling super lightheaded. The met-con was a classic: 10 rounds AQAP of 10 pullups and 10 ring dips. The last time we did this one, it was in May and I used a blue band on both movements. This time, I did kipping pulls and did parallette dips with a medium box. Whew the dips really get you after a few rounds!!! I had to scale my pullups after the first four rounds to 7 because I wouldn't make the 15 min. cut-off otherwise (plus the coach told us to do that). Next time, I'll do all my reps and ring dips. I can do two or three dips in a row unassisted, but if I use a band, I get a major foot cramp, every time. I remember getting one in both feet last time I did this WOD. Sandy counted for me, and she was awesome about keeping me honest on ROM. I sure miss her!!!

Saturday WOD: These past few Saturday workouts have broken me OFF! Last week was a killer chipper, and I didn't make the cut-off but finished it out. Today's was no better: 5 rounds AQAP of 10 burpees (See, Amy? Worst luck ever!!), 30 jumping pullups (those totally winded me), and 15 db thrusters (I used 20# db's). Cut-off time was 20 minutes, and I finished in 18:40. It was super humid in the box today, and I regretted wearing a bra top; otherwise, I would RS'd it!! I really like that the coaches make the Saturday WOD so tough, though. Just because it's the weekend doesn't mean we should take it easy! :)

Time to get groceries, get my hair cut (it's been three months!!!! Had to pay double rent for a month and a half, so that'll do it), and unpack some more. I'm so happy to be done with my class and have the next week off. Whew!!!! Oh, another update: the district is closing my school and turning it into an over-age middle school (i.e., 12- and 13-year-old 7th and 8th graders). There are 1200 over-age middle schoolers in this district, so I can understand why they're doing that. But, the teachers at my school are being displaced, so while we are guaranteed to have a job for next fall, the where is not certain. DISD is also opening an over-age high school, Dallas Horizon Academic Center, which is going to be pretty much a replica of my current school. I'm really interested in teaching there, plus I really like the alternative setting. I'm hoping to get an interview this upcoming week and know what's in store! Also, I see this event as a house-cleaning of sorts because the number of incompetent/lazy/unqualified/apathetic personnel at the school that's closing was bringing the rest of us and the school down. Good riddance!!!! Will keep y'all updated...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about class! I felt that way too about this semester! OH, I hate that classic one! Just about killed me when I did it. That WOD did sound like a tough one!

    And you will have to explain more about this whole job thing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete