Friday, August 7, 2009

New PR!

We did my worst lift today: overhead squats. I was a bit worried going in, but once we were warmed up and Spencer gave us a few pointers, I felt a bit more relaxed. I just kept remembering the last time we did 1-rep max for OHS and how awful I felt during it. The box was stiflingly hot--I think one of the fans was in another room, so our particular work area was awfully stuffy. Also, I was unhappy about not being to see very well because I had to wear my glasses during that time (woohooooo for not having to wear glasses or contacts!!!!!!). Sharing a rack with Mel and Mere also made me feel like a weenie, although both of them kept giving me helpful tips and encouraging me when it was my turn. I was just mad at the whole world that day!!

Today was a totally different OHS experience. I shared a bar with Laura, who did a very impressive job, PRing at 70#. I started out with the 33# bar and felt a bit shaky with that weight. But I noticed that as I gave Laura and Barbie pointers and encouragement, I felt more confident and capable when it was my turn to lift. I love being a teacher! :) Barbie used her own rack, working from the 15# bar to a PR of 40#. Both ladies had excellent form throughout and will be squatting more weight in no time. We had seven attempts at getting a new PR. I started with 53# and changed out to the 45# bar because my math skillz suck, plus the clamps are almost impossible to get over that fatter 33# bar. So then I used 60 and went up by 5s. My new PR is 80, although I should have stuck it out on the 85# attempt, but my balance faltered and I felt my weight shifting to my toes, so I bailed. It's still a new PR by 15#, so I'm not complaining! :) Cooldown was 100 situps at home with Castor nomming my hair and Pollux sitting on my shins. Such "helpful" kitties!

Time to start school work for my next grad class and then it'll be time for Melting Pot for Kason and my five-year anniversary! Woohoooo! Can't believe it's been that long. I'm looking forward to many more!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new PR! I am so proud!

    Congrats on the 5 year anniversary too! You guys have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, double congratulations are in order! Five years is certainly cause for celebration. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amy and Jamie! Hey that rhymes! :)

    Last night was great! We went to Melting Pot but got there too late and had an hour wait for the next available table, so we decided to go elsewhere. We tried Clay Pit, a contemporary Indian restaurant--pretty casual atmosphere but pretty tasty food. While we were waiting for our samosas, Kason looked at me and said he still wanted cheese and chocolate fondue afterward, so he called Melting Pot and made a reservation for 10. :) So we ate a lil bit of the Indian food and drove to a Barnes and Noble to wait until 10. The wait was well worth it!! We had cheese with a pinot grigio base (mmmm, can't remember the name). I had two lil pieces of bread and mostly veggies and a few apple pieces. Then we had the small portion of dark chocolate fondue. I loooooooooved it!!!! We usually get the original, which is milk chocolate with a swirl of crunchy peanut butter--very, very rich. I love Melting Pot in that they give you cheesecake without charging you extra for it, unlike Simply Fondue, which is a smaller chain and is located on Greenville Ave. Then we came home and slept like babies... :)

    I'm planning to do both WODs today to make up for the cheats, as well as the cheat tonight when we go to Humperdink's to watch the UFC fight. :)

    ReplyDelete