Friday, June 26, 2009

Diet is caput!!

Ugh, I knew it would be a challenge to stick to my diet while at home, but sheesh, I'm starting to feel the repercussions of such a fact. :( The good aspect? It really motivates me to be even more rigorous with my diet when I return. I could tell a difference with my workouts, too.

Yesterday's workout was quite tough for me, but I like to think it's because it was my fourth day in a row and my awful diet. We warmed up with 10-9-8...1 of jumping squats and pushups. Then we practiced a skill--rowing 500m for time, three times. I couldn't break 2:14. :( I got some pointers from the coach, but I didn't improve at all. Then for the metcon, we did AMRAP in 15 minutes of 400m run and 5 wall climbs. I tried to do a wall climb, but I couln't move my hands at all--they just wouldn't budge! I think it's because I'm not confident in my handstands yet. I had to do donkey kicks instead--15 for each round. I managed to get in three and a half rounds, but they were painful and slow. The run was the worst part for me, surprisingly. It was rather hot and humid that day (I know, nothing like it was in Dallas but still quite icky), and I didn't feel like I could breathe properly while I ran. In retrospect, though, I'm glad I went. It will be great to return to CFDC, but I noticed that Rogue Fitness tends to do a warmup, skill practice, AND metcon for each workout. CFDC does feature great warmups and WODs, but sometimes I feel like I should have done more...if that makes sense. Oh good gracious, I'm starting to sound like my exercise-obsessed pal! :0 But sometimes I do feel like I need to do another workout in addition to what I've already done. I really like being sore and bruised the next day, not to say I haven't experienced these sensations recently from working out at CFDC. Just a tiny difference I've noticed.

Well, I return to Dallas tomorrow and will be having a huge cheat meal (ack, I know!) with a friend who is a spectacular chef. THEN I will be on a strict Paleo/Zone diet. I should start logging my daily meals like Sandy, Amy, and Jamie do. Need to be held accountable!

8 comments:

  1. Good luck dieting at home! Stay strong! As you can tell from my blog, sticking to a diet on vacation is really hard for me, too. Let me know if you have any good methods you use to stay on track!

    And I agree with you about liking the formula at Rogue and sometimes feeling like you could do more. I've seen other Crossfit sites where they do that, and it'd be cool if ours organized each day like that, too. Actually today's workout was a good warmup, followed by a 500m row time trial, followed by Lucille, so maybe they're sort of moving in that direction. Either way, like you, I'm not complaining! I love our little gym!

    Enjoy your meal tomorrow! Cheat meals keep us sane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jamie! It's been very difficult to stick to my diet because my hometown has never heard of organic or the Paleo diet, and my mom keeps all the processed foods you could ever want if you were totally clueless about nutrition (my whole family). Like, I about fell over when my mom said that grains are healthier than meat!!!!!! OMG I had to bite my tongue super hard and restrain myself. Darn those big corporate food manufacturers! Did you get to see Food, Inc. yet? I should have taken my mom to see it. I plan to send her those articles about the evils of grains and cereals. I tried to explain the Zone diet to her and one of my friends, but I could tell they weren't too interested in changing, and that's the most frustrating thing about it because they want to lose weight but are unwilling to make the changes/adjustments that are necessary!! Anyway, I was pretty good at first about just sticking to meats and veggies (some fruit), as well as nuts. But when I went out with my friends, it wasn't just about impossible to stay true to my diet. Then I felt sick. :( It's so true that the way you eat affects the way you feel and perform. Sorry--I'm ranting. I'm just frustrated that I can't help my family change their lives for the better and they'll continue to be overweight and unhealthy and unhappy even though they have the tools and opportunities to help themselves.

    I'm glad that the workout today was more structured! I still enjoy our gym, especially the awesome people. :)

    I intend to thoroughly enjoy my steak, salad, potatoes, gourmet rolls, and dessert (last time it was chocolate creme brûlée, mmmmm) tomorrow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with all of the above :) My family is also pretty uninterested..although they have made some small steps in the right direction..such as fruit for dessert instead of cookies and less bread.

    Diet on the road just sucks. I'll be travelling Sun-Tues and training at a hospital..definitely not eating hospittal food! I plan on taking as much jerky and nuts that I can, but I'm sure I'll end up with a few bad meals :-/

    But yes, you should start logging your meals when you get back. Just knowing that someone is going to read it makes you think twice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Hospital food isn't always bad! The doctors lounge has some pretty good stuff! We had Kung Pow chicken yesterday! I took the chicken and put it over a nice salad....so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, thanks for the tip, Amy.. I'll have to befriend some of the doctors and sneak in for the good food :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It ALWAYS helps to make nice with the doctors....and the firemen....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, Amy, for reasons beyond the food, eh? ;) Well, the mega cheat meal was thoroughly and highly enjoyed tonight...sigh. Tomorrow I gotta start being good! Can definitely tell a difference from just four days of bad diet. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well.....maybe....but I mean, come on, have you guys actually looked at the firemen? Work at Plano, and you will see what I mean! All the cute ones go to Plano Hospital! However, they don't seem to have poles at the stations anymore. :( Or at least not the local ones. Speaking of poles.....we so need to go and do another class. That was soo much fun!

    ReplyDelete