Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ugh.

Well, today was another lifting day, and I was rather disappointed in myself. I'd like to blame it on my lack of vision and consequential imbalance/insecurity, plus the fact that the heavy lifters (i.e., Linda, Dee, Victoria, and Mel) totally swept me away. But I won't. I have terrible form on this lift, and I have added it to my "work-in-progress" list. It's frustrating to feel like I've moved backward this week! But I won't dwell on it. My consultation is in less than two weeks, and then if everything goes well, I won't have to worry about glasses/contacts ever again!!!!

WOD:


Clean and Jerk

Max single

rest 5-10 minutes

2 reps every minute on the minute, 8 times, at 85% of max single

By the time I reached 83#, I was already feeling lousy and knew my form was gradually declining. So I went back down to 78# and stayed there. I cheated on the weight used for the 2nd part, but I was too annoyed with myself by that point to really bother about the 3 extra pounds, plus I didn't feel like doing the math. It helped to hear Linda coach me and encourage me. She's awesome. Mel gave me some pointers, too. I really appreciate it when they do that! It's cool to see Linda working out with us again and that her injury has healed.

I'm excited about preparing all of this Texas grass-fed beef! I love our gym. And my foam roller came today. I made the really dumb mistake of leaving it unattended; when I went to try it out later, I saw that the kittens, of course, had tried it out themselves...with their claws and teeth!!! Argh! There's never a dull moment with these creatures!

It was fun helping Sandy with her front squats. She got a new PR, and she did the workout, so I'm very proud of her. It's motivating to work with people like her. She's always conscious of her form and her execution, and she doesn't cut corners. Her attitude is one to emulate, for sure. :)

2 comments:

  1. Alright, first off, I don't know how you define lousy but I totally disagree, lol. I know the vision really does throw you off, and I know how it feels to be there with the heavy lifters and feel useless (trust me!) but you went in and did it (for the first time?) and did great! I know this week has been off, I'm right there with you, but the important thing is that you've kept going and kept working, despite all the obstacles and opportunities to quit. That will pay off in the long run!

    Second, you are way too nice! Thanks again for your help! And it is really nice to hear these things because I usually feel pretty useless! I just try to keep going through the motions and doing my best hoping that one day it will all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sandy, for your encouraging and generous words. I was really just venting. :) But I agree with you--I went in and did it instead of just staying home. It was my first time doing clean and jerks, and I kept doing push presses instead. Mel and Linda gave me some pointers--I think they're the most patient athletes there, besides Koy and Sam.

    It was my pleasure helping you out! And don't ever feel useless, Sandy!!! You are seriously an inspiring individual, and I think you should be a featured athlete of the month soon! And the key words you said: "keep going through the motions and doing my best" are what each of us should go by.

    ReplyDelete