Sunday, June 28, 2009

OMG I'm scared.

So I start my next grad course this week, and I am already starting to panic. We're required to find a student to assess for the entire five weeks--the course is called Literacy Assessment--and why the university would schedule this course in the summer is beyond me. School has been out of session for at least three or four weeks now, and families go on vacation! I do have a few options, but I have to hurry and find a student by Wednesday as my first lesson plan/assessment is due on Saturday. It's going to be rough and stressful--I can already feel it. I'm hoping the professor allows me to remotely teach/assess my mother's friends' son who is going into the 3rd grade. I know the parents and the son relatively well, and I think they would be comfortable with me working with them. But I have to actually implement lesson plans each week and teach the student reading and writing skills for each lesson, as well as assess and observe him/her during each session. That will be pretty much impossible to do when the child lives in Ohio and I'm in Texas. My other option is contacting Victoria and somehow getting contact information on her students (elementary level) and hoping at least one of them has not left for vacation yet. Five weeks is a long time! I'm seriously baffled about why the class schedule was set up to have this course in session during the summer! Argh! Anyway, I think I will e-mail my peers and see what they're doing in order to fulfill this particular requirement. I feel so incompetent and lost already. :(

Going to workout today and hope the heat doesn't kill me. Haven't had breakfast yet because I'm not hungry and I feel stressed out. That's a bad thing I used to do in college--when I was stressed, I would not eat. Bleh! On a good note, my kittens aren't mad at me for leaving them for those few days at the vet. They seem happy and content being at home again. I am glad I got them!

Went in this afternoon and wow do 20 degrees make a huge difference!!!! I couldn't believe how stuffy and oppressive the heat was, but it was great to sweat out those toxins from my poor diet earlier in the week, plus all the stress I've been feeling. I got a new PR on front press: 90#, as well as a new 5-rep max (80#) and 3-rep max (85# +10 from old PR). Mel and Erica kept me going. It was good to workout with Lindsey again, too. :) I think she got a new PR, as well. Then it was time for the metcon: 21-15-9 of wall ball shots and pullups. Oh, it was awesome being able to do two unassisted kipping pullups on our bar when I got there!!!! But doing all those reps ripped my hand, and I had to use the red band. I digress, I know, but it would have taken me 20-30 minutes to finish if I hadn't used the band. I don't know what it is about 21 pullups, but I hated every one of them! Maybe the presses tired my shoulders out, who knows. I did, however, beat my old time of over 8 minutes and did it in 7:40 this time. That's progress!! Next time, I will do it mostly unassisted. Gotta wean myself off that band. But I seriously hope we're not doing pullups tomorrow...if we are, then I'm going to wear a glove on my ripped hand. Finally, I held a handstand against the wall for 30 seconds, yay!

Breakfast/lunch: 2 hardboiled eggs
1 Tbsp sunbutter
(seriously not much of an appetite)

Snack: 1 oz. brisket jerky
handful mixed nuts

Dinner: almond-crusted turkey
steamed purple cabbage and spinach
olive oil

EOD: 6/2/10?

4 comments:

  1. OK...stop panicing...seriously....it doesn't do us much good. Kinda funny coming from me, I know. The 5 weeks will go by quickly. I can hardly believe I have two weeks left. Seems like I just started yesterday. That is kinda weird that this class is during the summer since most kids are out of school, except for the freaks like me! :) You are going to do great! You know, you should have told me about your kittens, they could have stayed with me since I was at home practically the entire time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy...easier said than done!! I'm hoping I can work it out to work with the parents I already know although it will require us to video-conference, but I really do need to learn to do that--I've never even downloaded Skype until now! We'll see... I'm happy that my professor is willing to let me try it, though. She had a student actually do that with her younger sister in Taiwan! It worked fine, though, so I think if you can do it internationally, then I should be able to do it.

    Awesome to know about your being willing to keep my kitties. I will be going out of town at the end of July to see Kason graduate, so I might just ask you about keeping my kids (hehe) then. I appreciate it!!! Okay, gotta get back to figuring all this out. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lots and lots of PR's! Congrats, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sandy! Got another one today on power snatches.

    No go on the video-conferencing--the lady doesn't even have long-distance service for her phone. Bleh! I guess I will have to scour and beg at the local YMCAs or something. This is becoming a big nightmare, worse than the Nancy benchmark by far. :(

    ReplyDelete