Monday, June 15, 2009

A great day!

Received a seven-page letter from Kason (he finally received my first mail I overnighted to him on June 5!), and he was actually pretty gushy at times. That's saying a lot because Kason isn't that kind of guy. :) Anyway, he's doing fine at basic training, except when his platoon got smoked like three times by the drill sergeant for stupid crap; one such punishment actually landed one of his teammates in the hospital with a messed up back! But he's enduring the heat/humidity and physical challenges better than most. I'm glad CF has helped prepare him for all this!

Today's WOD was rather challenging, especially after doing Cindy yesterday. My legs hurt in places they haven't in a long while. Rolling out was rather unpleasant.

The Chief

As Many Rounds As Possible in 3 Minutes:

  • 3 Power Cleans (135# men, 95# women)
  • 6 Push-Ups
  • 9 Squats

Repeat 5 times. Rest 1 minute between sets.

I started with 75# and did regular pushups for the first set, but the left 1# chain fell off on my last round and I was too tired to put it back on. So I knocked off the other chain and used 73# for the remaining sets. How lame is that? :/ I also went to knee pushups. Dee brought up a good point--I should do the regular pushups even if I don't get as many reps or as good of a time. I should keep moving forward, not backward. So the next WOD that calls for pushups, I'm going to stay off my knees for as long as I can. She's right--it is a better workout if I do the full ROM and prescribed movements. It's about time to move from the blue strap to the red one on pullups, too.

4, 3, 3, 3 and 2 squats, 4 and 2 power cleans.

The finisher was 20 strict (dead-hang) pullups. I started with the green band, which was much too easy, and then moved to blue. Got about 4 or 5 with that, but then I added the red band. I'm looking forward to starting the pullup progression workouts with Sandy. I think she's a trooper for doing today's WOD on that ankle. I hope she takes her time and doesn't try to push it too hard.

5 comments:

  1. You were kicking butt today as usual! Nice job! And thanks for your nice comments, as always :) I will most likely be at the 5:00 class with you tomorrow! And we can work on some pushup progression afterwards as well as our GHD's...just get it all in there before a much needed rest day on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Sandy, thanks for counting for me on that final set. :) And I was thinking of going to the 6:00 class because I need to run errands after school tomorrow. I'm not counting Saturday as a workout day because the newbie WOD was way too easy (2 sprints and half tabata situps/mountain climbers, plus half tabata assisted pullups). Then we'll take Wed. off and hopefully go to Kozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome :) Well, I'll check with you tomorrow. BTW, what do you mean about the chain falling off? I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had 2 1# chains on both sides to make it 75#--Sam made me use the 33-bar. I hate using it because a) it's almost impossible to get the ring holder things on, b) it's slippery and hard to grip properly, and c) the measurements take more brain power to figure out the weights. Haha. It's okay--next time I will use a 45-bar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting..I didn't even know we had those!

    ReplyDelete