Sunday, June 14, 2009

What friends are for

Was feeling quite crappy today from getting to bed past 2:30 (not by choice) and eating too much greasy/fried food last night. By the time I got to the gym a little past 3, I seriously doubted my motivation and commitment to giving my best effort to the workout. It was a tossup between the prescribed WOD (400m run x 6) or making up Cindy or Barbara. Since Sam Z. was going to make up Cindy, I decided to join him. It really helps to have someone suffering alongside you during a WOD! Sandy showed up to count for me. :) I was relieved/worried because I knew she would make me repeat a rep if it wasn't perfect, but really, once I started the WOD, I found myself redoing reps that weren't up to par (particularly pullups). This is a deceptively difficult benchmark, and I think I would have quit after ten minutes (or before!) if Sandy hadn't been there encouraging me and telling me to keep going. For some reason, I kept breaking my squats at rep 13. Weird, huh? I'm not sure why I kept doing that, but I did it for most of the rounds. Overall, I was happy to knock out all 5 pullups mostly unbroken for some of those rounds. Toward the end, though, it was more like breaking every 1 or 2 pullups. Ugh. But the final 20 seconds, I just had to get 5 more pullups in, so I did 3 and then 2. Twenty minutes is agony when you're doing AMRAP! I'm pretty pleased with how I did, and I felt tons better after I was done (after I caught my breath, of course...so like, 20-30 minutes afterward).

I then cooled down with Sandy with a full tabata situp mashup. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see Sandy out of the corner of my eye matching my pace and reps! She's really worked hard, and I'm so proud of her! She did a great job on her tabata pushups, but I think next time, she should do the pullups first. For some reason, it does make a difference. I might make up Barbara next Sunday...we'll see! I hope she can count for me!!

Had a very much needed vent session afterward at Cafe Brazil, where I introduced Sandy to my favorite: Not Just Another Egg Sandwich with sweet potato fries. I'll be more than happy to indulge her fix anytime she has a craving for another one!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I came to count for you because otherwise I would've let myself take today off. You did AWESOME on "Cindy".. you didn't stop at all! I was so impressed! The time probably goes slower when you're not doing it with a group, but you definitely made every second and every rep count! I could barely keep up just to count and didn't need to call out any redos!
    Thanks for sticking with my through my frustration while I tried to figure out what to do, waiting for me to do the situps, and introducing me to that sandwich! I will definitely be craving it!! Looking forward to working in more pull-up practice into our cool down and some Kozy later this week. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Sandy! I think you did a commendable job at figuring out how to modify/create a workout you could do on your ankle. It would have been easy to just throw in the towel, but you did not do that. I'm so happy I get to workout with you and benefit from your determined energy! I have you to thank for my progress, Sandy. :)

    ReplyDelete