Sunday, June 7, 2009

Good place to start

Well, Sandy and Amy finally convinced me today to start a blog, so here I am! I can see the benefits of blogging about my daily fitness progress and adjustment to implementing Paleo/Zone from reading other CFDCers' blogs. I'm extremely excited about attending the nutrition seminar in a few weeks!! Since I began crossfitting, I returned to eating quality lean meats, and I could tell a positive difference almost overnight. I seriously can't imagine how vegetarians/vegans could possibly do CrossFit the way it's meant to be done (do they?). I've already researched a bit on the Zone Web site and calculated how many blocks I should be eating a day: 13 P,C, and F. I plan to sit down with a coach at the seminar, though, to figure out what my exact nutritional needs are in order to lose some of that excess body fat (it's 24% right now--not ideal). It all seems rather overwhelming right now, but I know that once I get used to the measurements and conversions into blocks, it will be well worth the effort. The only thing I regret is that I didn't learn about CF and Paleo/Zone years ago! I have been recording my meals/snacks in the CFDC food log document and am eager to have it evaluated.

The party last night was a blast, especially when the hip-hop-blaring ice cream truck stopped by. I loved the easy conversations, laughter, and overall hilarity of the entire evening. I don't make friends very easily, mostly because I'm normally an introverted person (FYI: most teachers are introverts), although I like to think that my propensity toward seeming aloof/snobby has slackened over the years. I admire individuals who instantly light up a room with natural charm, charisma, and self-confidence. I do believe that CF has helped me overcome my natural tendencies to be shy/aloof.

WOD:

10 - 10 - 10 of max weight
Push Press

This is a weak lift for me, and I was glad that we worked on it today since it was what hurt my overall reps in "Fight Gone Bad." Amy and Emily pushed me through the ten reps of 55 and 65#. I have to remember the hip drive since I tend to muscle the bar up with my arms/shoulders, speaking of which, they were still stiff from yesterday's "Nancy."

Then I did Friday's met-con (10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of KB swings and burpees) with Sandy. That was tough!! I have to remember that most WODs look pretty tame in print, but once it comes to actually performing them, yikes! But there is always room for improvement, and that is one of the many aspects I love about CrossFit.


4 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! FINALLY, you are blogging! You did great today on the press! Don't see why you say this is a weak lift for you! You made those reps seem easy! I should have made you try 75#....next time though!!

    I totally agree that things look easier in print. BUT...that met con didn't look easy any way I looked at it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! :) And yes, next time I will try 75#, although I don't think I would be able to get all 10 reps, but we gotta start somewhere, right?

    Thanks for encouraging Sandy and me during the metcon and timing it for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your blog! I'm so glad we are all on here and can help each other keep track and stay accountable. This helps me a ton and hopefully it will you too!

    On the Zone..I'll tell you it is a huge pain for the first week or two, and then it kind of becomes second nature, like Paleo. Although, the 24% doesn't sound right, b/c the Zone told me that I'm at 22%.. it's definitely just generally accurate, b/c it can't account for body type. But hopefully we can both be under 20% soon!

    Which just reminded me.. 2 bikini.. 1 bikini.. lol. Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sandy! I know it will be tough adjusting to the Zone diet, but I definitely can see the benefits of it after watching that show. Haha, Amy counted off situps that way for me the other day, and it made me giggle. :) A great motivator!

    ReplyDelete