Monday, June 8, 2009

Thank goodness for rest days!

Although the WOD ("Barbara") sounds delightful today, I'm quite glad it's my rest day (I will be making this one up on Sunday). My eye continues to bother me and makes me wonder if it will affect me tomorrow at the gym. I'm also paying for staying up late to watch that Discovery channel show about the world's former heaviest man. I can't believe he has lost over 400 pounds just by doing the Zone diet! I'm excited to start it along with Paleo in earnest. I really am unsure of myself and look forward to the seminar next weekend. But I'm a bit worried because after that, I'll be going to visit my family/friends for several days, and it will be a bit difficult sticking to the schedule/measurements. Staying faithful to the Paleo aspect probably won't be too challenging, but I do want to follow the Zone diet consistently and truthfully once one of the coaches configures my actual needs. That show truly was inspiring, though, and I'm so glad his girlfriend stuck by him despite her family's judgements.

I am finding it challenging to meet the nutrient requirements (13 for all three) the site prescribed for me. I tend to be quite a bit short of the required blocks for each day. I've always been used to eating less during the weekday when I pack my lunch, but it seems I need to take much more food with me to school, especially snacks. I usually take a bag of unsalted nuts to snack on, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I'm usually pretty hungry when I get home around 4:15, and since I like to go to the 5 p.m. class, it's hard for me to fuel before I workout. I think I should start taking two lunches with me! I'm curious about the supplements and bars marketed by Zone. Are they quality and substantial enough to be considered worth my money and consumption? I might try the bars for an easy, convenient snack option. So much to learn! Well, I plan to go see Hangover with some Xfitters tonight; should be fun, but I hope I can get enough rest to do 100% for tomorrow's WOD.

2 comments:

  1. Let me know once you get started if you need ideas, or browse through my meals on my blog. Also, this is a good reference to help you see how you could split it up:
    http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf
    Like I said, it'll be a pain at first, but then you'll get used to it..just like Paleo.
    Also, when I started Zone, I was going on a trip a few days later as well. I just did it for a few days to get the idea, tried to stay Paleo on the trip, then went back into it when I got back. Don't worry about those few days.
    See you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandy! I will look into that article and really study the food zone guide on the Zone Diet site. And thank you for letting me vent earlier today.

    ReplyDelete