Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Great to be back!

First day back to CFDC and I'm feeling great!!! Although, during the WOD I wasn't feeling too hot...but I MISSED that feeling! I missed pushing myself to that brink of am I going to get sick? Am I going to be able to keep going? I really hated the push presses, although I should have not been such a wuss and tried doing at least one set of the handstand pushups as prescribed.

WOD:

15-12-9-6-3 reps for total time of:

185 pound Deadlift
Handstand push-ups
Vertical leap, 1 foot above reach

5:48
95# Deadlifts
20# push press
Female wall ball target for VL

20 burpees for dessert

I know I could have used more weight on the deadlifts, but I didn't want to push it too much since I've had a week off. That sounds wussy, but I definitely hated taking seven days off and didn't want to have to take even more time off due to a silly injury that was preventable. I was really amazed watching Linda do her handstand pushups like it was nothing. Erica really kicked ass on them, as well. She would not give up, and I truly admire that about her.

It was painfully satisfying to wash my hands with hot water and feel it burning my reopened blisters! Haha! I also noticed a few burns on my arms from doing negative ring dips, and of course since we did burpees, I got a bruise on each knee. It was cool: after our WOD, Sam gave us a mini-lecture about the 10 metabolic pathways and how he and the coaches measure our fitness level. It really opened my eyes to the fact that I seriously need to swallow my pride and work my ass on improving the moves I suck at: handstand pushups, overhead squats, ring dips, muscleups (looooooong way off for those but still need to work on it), running more efficiently, and doing more kipping pullups unbroken. We did two rounds of 20-second L-sits, 10 pullups, 10 broad jumps, 10 ring dips, 10 GHD situps, and 10 GHD back extensions. I could do three pullups unbroken but just couldn't get my chin up after that, on both rounds. So I had to use the red band for the remaining pullups, grrrr. I did negative ring dips, but it did feel less difficult this time compared to the last skill practice we did. The other stuff was easy but really got my blood moving and my heart rate up. Loved it!

As tempted as I am to do 5 on 2 off this week, I talked to Sam, and he told me that doing 3 on 1 off is the best way to go and to do bodyweight moves and sprints while I'm traveling. I can easily do invisible Fran in my hotel room while I'm in SC! No excuses!! I was also considering going to my friend's bootcamp this Saturday to see how I do, but I can't--got a hair and nails appointment. I love being girly sometimes, and I want to be all prettified for when I see Kason at his graduation. I can't believe how quickly the months passed! CrossFit and the awesome girls I have met at CFDC, plus grad school, have made the time fly by. I am so happy that I met y'all and have gotten to know you--you are all beautiful, inside and out, and I am so grateful for our friendships!

Okay, time to get back to the books! Do any of you find it difficult to make yourself eat after a WOD? I seriously have to make myself eat; otherwise, I can go for two or three hours afterward without eating, which I know is not good, right? Ugh!

Update: Just had a freaking BEST Japanese cuisine in my entire life!!!! Went to Sushi Sake in Richardson with my friend, and OMG what an experience. We ate at the sushi bar, and the subtle details of everything, from the little porcelain chopstick rest bar to the warm, damp towel (oshibori) to wash off our hands, made the two hours we spent there amazing and just so special! Our sushi chef was both attentive and friendly, explaining unfamiliar ingredients and names to us so cheerfully. Next time we go, we're going to let the sushi chef make all of our choices (I can't think of the term right now). I'd like to go there once a month, but we'll see how my budget looks. So incredibly fantastic! Oh, we started out with the aji sashimi, which was exquisite--it melted in your mouth and definitely did not taste how you would think raw fish would taste. The gingery sauce that accompanied it was wonderful, too. Then the waitress took the rest of the mackerel and had it fried for us. That was amazing! It was light, crispy, and slightly sweet. I ate a bit of the fish head (I was feeling brave LOL), and it was quite yummy. After the aji, we had a beef and asparagus roll, which was exactly what it says: asparagus spears wrapped in beef cut into bite-size pieces. Then we had steamed clams in sake and shumai (with shrimp). Wow, every dish was more delicious than the previous one! One of my favorites was the Louisiana roll, which was fried crawfish wrapped in sushi rice and nori. What a treat! Finally, we had a beef and tofu soup (niku tofu), which was probably my favorite out of all we ate. We shared these dishes, by the way, so while it seems like a ton of food, it was just right for the both of us. For dessert (couldn't leave without seeing what they offered!), I had the red bean ice cream, and my friend had mochi ice cream with mango. I am hooked!! Oh yeah, and I had a boxful of their featured sake--that's right, a boxful. They served it in an interesting wooden box cup, called a masu; it's the traditional way to serve sake and a symbol of prosperity. :)

3 comments:

  1. Great job today! Looks like we'll be on vacation the same week - keep posting if you can and let me know what workouts you're doing! Monday and Tuesday I'm going to my mom's class, which is somewhat Crossfit-style but slower. If we do anything good that you could do on your own, I'll post it!

    I am actually really hungry after a WOD! I eat as soon as I get to work to make sure I'm replacing whatever I need to be. I find it hardest to eat pre-WOD because I wake up late or I'm busy trying to get errands done and don't have time. So that could be why I'm so hungry for lunch. And I never eat before 7 a.m. WODs, which I know is bad but my dinner's usually pretty late, so it's never been a problem. Sorry, that was kind of rambling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jamie!! Way to use the rx'd weight on DL! Wow!

    I don't eat before a morning WOD either--I just can't make myself. It's like I feel like my entire body is not awake yet, so if I try to put food in it, it will rebel. :) Haha, no wonder you're hungry for lunch if you go to the nooner without any fuel! I usually get up by 8:30 so I can eat breakfast before going at noon. Otherwise, I wait until after the WOD to eat if it's in the morning. I eat late dinners, too!

    I'll be out of town on Thursday and Friday, but I will have to miss the Saturday WOD, so that's already three days in a row. Thanks for letting me know if you and your mom do any good workouts! I have seen other outside-the-box workouts on your, Sandy, and Amy's blogs to help me out. It will be interesting to see how Kason's mom reacts to my noises while I workout in the hotel room. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how anyone can eat before a WOD....makes me nauseated just thinking about it! 90% of the time, I don't feel like eating after a WOD. So, I usually just take a shower when I get home, and then make myself eat something light or else I will be starving when I wake up the next morning! Taking on Invisible Fran I see! Hehe..it's "Fun". LOL.

    I am so grateful for you guys too! Just knowing that there are other people who are supporting me and wanting the best for me is so motivating! You guys are so much more than friends!

    ReplyDelete