Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Totally worth it

Okay, so Amy is dying to learn about this experience I had today, but if you aren't into reading about body hair removal, kindly skip ahead to the WOD. :)

Getting my first Brazilian wax (as a welcome home, as well as other reasons!) was seriously not bad at all! First off, it probably helped a ton to take a Motrin IB an hour before the procedure, and second, my technician was Laura the Brow Queen (http://www.laurathebrowqueen.com/Laura_the_brow_queen.html). She began by asking me what I wanted, a full Brazilian or a half, and had me take off my shorts, leaving my underwear on. That in itself was surprisingly calming! You never are completely showing any of yourself down there because you use your panties to serve as the boundary, if that makes sense. It's an interesting strategy, and it works! Nice and even and straight. She explained to me that I would be doing "Ready Freddy" for the waxing. If you're curious, let me just say, it helps to know when your hair's about to be ripped out. I was expecting pain and a lot of discomfort. I was completely wrong! I felt a few of the pulls but only for a split second, a little sting really, and that was it. Laura was quick, efficient, and very friendly. She knows what she's doing! She powders you before she starts and before a big pull so your skin is nice and dry for the wax. The hot wax was probably the worst part (no joke!) of the whole thing, especially in the more sensitive areas. But pain? None whatsoever. It was so amazing!! I fully endorse this procedure AND Laura the Brow Queen (she's located in the Eliza Salon Spa off Central Expy and Walnut Hill in a shopping center). Do it! You will not regret it. Oh, and she did my upper lip even though I didn't schedule it. I asked her if she had time to do it for me, and she said it was not a problem. That didn't hurt at all either, and the last time I had it done somewhere else, it didn't feel too great! This lady is absolutely wonderful!!!! I was smiling and hugging her afterward. She said most people leave laughing. I was definitely feeling relieved, though, for getting it over with since I wasn't entirely sure how painful it would be. I'm even working out two hours afterward! :D


WOD:

Every minute on the minute for 20 minutes:

3 Hang power cleans
3 Front squats
3 Push-press

This one looks fun, plus I need to work on my hang power cleans since I always psych myself out when the load gets to a certain weight.

Ugh. That one hurts already!!!! I used 53#, which felt like a ton by the 13th round. The push presses were the most mentally challenging for me. I wanted to rest so many times, but I kept telling myself, just keep going. It helped to hear Erica yelling at me a few times, too. :) This was a great workout! It was funny to see all the people at the 5:00 drenched in sweat and then be one of them after I did this WOD. What a boiler the box was today!!! I'll take dry heat anyday. CD was 20 GHD situps--should have done some handstands and planks, but I had to hurry to meet Erica's friend at Kozy. Yummy meal as always. That's twice this week already! I feel spoiled. :) I was a bit worried my wax job would bother me during the workout, but I was fine! Love it!!! Going to get to bed at a decent hour tonight so I can hit the 6 a.m. tomorrow. Then spend all day cleaning, organizing, and packing. Woohoo! It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that I've finished all my projects. All I need now is to respond to two Power Point presentations my colleagues posted, but so far, it's just me and this other lady. LOL We're such over-achievers. :) Assignment is due on Thursday.

4 comments:

  1. Glad it didn't hurt! I will have to think about getting one!

    Great job on the WOD! I probably should have used more weight, but I was just focused on getting all 20 rounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this is weird, but is Laura the brow queen a middle aged lady with short curly hair and an egyptian accent? b/c that's my distant aunt, hahaha. I'm pretty sure this is her business. I will NOT be going to her for wax treatments, lol, but if that's her, she is also the cutest sweetest person!

    Good seeing you yesterday, have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amy! It was tough using the weight I did--I couldn't have gone up anymore. And my wrists were what kept getting to me--they're so weak. Nice job getting all 20 rounds on yours! :) And thank you very much for kitty-sitting for me these next few days. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, yes, it is her! Wow! That's neato!!! LOL I wouldn't go to a relative for that kind of wax either. :) She was very cute and so sweet! Very awesome lady.

    It was great seeing you and Lindsey yesterday! I would have done those situps with you, but I wanted to do GHDs but then I got dizzy, so I decided to just roll out. :) Have a safe trip yourself! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete