Thursday, July 16, 2009

The old fear

Well, I finally faced one of my oldest fears: the dentist! Dun-dun-dun! I put off making an appointment for the longest time, but after Kason went a few months ago, I knew I couldn't keep making excuses for not going myself...so I made an appointment and had my first visit to the dentist in over five years.

I've always taken great care of my teeth, and I started using a Sonicare Elite last summer. The good oral hygiene paid off, because my dentist told me that I didn't even need a cleaning, my teeth were that well maintained and clean! He looked at the common trouble spots most people miss when they brush, and he said I was taking care of mine just fine--no tartar build-up or any of that nastiness. He's under the impression that I'm a teeth-grinder, though...I can't say I agree with him, but I will start paying closer attention to my mouth when I'm doing school work or working out. My jaws and teeth don't feel sensitive or tight in the morning, so I don't think I clench my jaws when I sleep. He does want me to keep track, though, and report back to him when I return to have an old filling replaced. I'm relieved!!!! I thought I'd have to get major work done or a root canal (yikes!!) since I hadn't visited a dentist in so long, but I am getting off pretty well with just having to get that 10+ year old filling redone. It won't be a big deal, and I will be glad to get another 10-20 years out of the new one. He talked about putting a crown on one of my other teeth that had a pretty big cavity filled a looooong time ago, but the lightest shade available was really dingy compared to my natural teeth color! Hooray! The sonicare and Jason's SeaFresh natural toothpaste are doing their job! :) I don't NEED the crown, so I don't plan on getting it for as long as I can get away with it. Such a relief that my dentist says I've been taking great care of my teeth, and I didn't have to undergo the scraping and polishing that I usually hated when I'd go regularly when I was growing up. Get this: my dentist said only 16% of people benefit from flossing and that you actually shouldn't do it because the floss damages healthy gum tissue. I'm going to keep up my routine, but I thought that was interesting to say the least...

Okay, time to crank out this assignment before meeting some friends for Nonna's and Tuna Does Vegas.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky girl!!! I've had the worst teeth ever since I was little. No braces, but I've never been able to get out of the dentist's chair with a clean bill of health. Maybe next time...

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I must be lucky because I definitely ate many chewy Jolly Ranchers in the past. Hope you have a great weekend, as well! Mine will be filled with school work--whee! It's sucked not being able to go to the gym; that is usually my study break. :( Oh well, Tuesday will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete